Does anyone else feel a little pressure in the weeks leading up to Christmas? Thanksgiving is over in a flash and all of a sudden you have just a few weeks to fully enjoy the Christmas season. I think I want so badly to be fully present in the weeks leading up to Christmas I actually cause myself anxiety thinking that it’s rushing by. At the heart of it, I want our family to fully celebrate the Christmas season, not just one or two days of it. I want my kids to feel the anticipation and hope of every passing day leading up to Christmas.
We started our Advent readings tonight. Over the years B and I have started to figure out what kind of Advent traditions we want to have with our family. Music is an integral part for us. And, of course, the lighting of candles. We’re going to try end every day with peaceful music and a scripture reading by candlelight. Day one went well. We’ll see how well we do keeping it up.
We picked up some Vikre Orevann Aquavit tonight to make some Christmas cocktails. The first drink B made was a Tom Collin’s with Aquavit and maple syrup instead of simple syrup. Yum! I'd say we're starting some pretty great traditions around here. :)
Chicken Kale Boats with Almond Drizzle
For chicken mixture:
2 T olive oil
1/3 chopped red onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 c chopped red cabbage
3 c chopped or shredded, cooked chicken
1/2 t salt
pepper, to taste
1 T toasted sesame oil
1/4 c chopped green onion
1/4 c chopped cilantro
Several leaves of Lacianto Kale
For almond butter sauce:
1/4 c almond butter
1 T coconut aminos
1/4 t ground ginger
3-4 T water, depending on thickness of almond butter
- Heat oil in skillet on medium heat.
- Add red onion, garlic, and cabbage and cook for several minutes, stirring occasionally
- Add the chicken, salt, pepper, and sesame oil and continue to cook until the chicken is hot, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the green onion and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, stir almond butter, coconut amigos, ginger powder, and water together until fully combined.
- Scoop chicken mixture onto kale leaves and drizzle with almond butter sauce.