It took me quite a while to land on a favorite granola recipe. I love a good crunchy granola, but found it hard to get the crunch without adding a lot of sugar. I played around with a lot of different recipes and finally landed on a recipe I really love. I find the small amount of sugar helps achieve the crunch I like without turning the granola into a crumbled cookie of sweetness. I will also use this recipe as a "base" of sorts to create new granola recipes with different mix-ins. My kids LOVE creating their own granola recipes. It gives them some ownership in the kitchen with a pretty fool proof recipe!
Coconut Almond Granola
- 1 cup almonds (I sometimes substitute walnuts)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 3 cups oats
- 1/2 t salt
- 3 T brown sugar
- 1/3 c honey
- 4 T coconut oil + a little extra
- 1/2 t vanilla
some favorite additions: cinnamon, poppy seeds, almond extract (for a really almondy taste), raisins, millet
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Mix together dry ingredients
- Melt coconut oil, stir honey into melted coconut oil to warm honey slightly
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined
- Add a little extra coconut oil into the bottom and sides of a 9×13 pan to grease slightly
- Firmly press the granola mixture into the 9×13 pan
- Bake for about 20 min or until granola looks nicely browned. Do not stir!
- Allow the granola to cool completely in the pan. Once it has cooled you can break it up and pull it out. This makes for the best crunch!