It’s almost Mother’s Day! Did you remember? I love celebratory days that involve bright colors and flowers, so this is one of my favorites. I’m planning to swing by Bella Flora before the weekend is over to pick up one of their amazing Mother’s Day floral arrangements. My dad is always showering my mom with flowers, so this one might be a gift to myself. :)
B went mountain biking last night after the kids went to bed and the quiet, springy evening gave me the urge to bake. With Mother’s Day around the corner it seemed a perfect time to make a little treat for Sunday morning. These rolls turned out SO good! I made them Paleo so they are suitable for most diets! Plus, they leave your tummy feeling full and happy rather than in pain and wanting a nap. I hope you enjoy and Happy Mother’s Day to all you mamas out there! You inspire me!
Apple Cinnamon Rolls
35 min, makes 9 rolls (that means it should serve 9, but I won’t judge if it serves 3…) ;)
7 dates, pitted and chopped
1 apple, chopped
1 t cinnamon
3 T water
(add some walnuts if you'd like! My kids prefer without)
1/2 t salt
3 T coconut oil, melted
3 1/2 c almond flour
1/3 c full fat coconut milk
2 t baking soda
2 T coconut cream
2 T maple syrup
- Heat oven to 375 F
- Place chopped dates, apples, cinnamon, and water in small saucepan and bring to simmer. Let simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 5 min, or until dates and apples have softened. Set aside to cool.
- In medium bowl, whisk eggs with coconut milk. Stir in the rest of the dough ingredients, almond flour last. Shape the dough into a ball.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet and set the dough on the parchment paper. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough to about 1/2” thickness. Spread the filling on the dough and roll it into a long tube. Squeeze the ends gently to be sure it is tight.
- Cut the dough into 9 pieces, places each piece in a greased 9x9” baking dish.
- Bake for 20 min or until knife inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool slightly in pan.
- In small bowl, whisk coconut cream with maple syrup until smooth.
- Drizzle the frosting on all the rolls.
- Enjoy! And tell your mama you love her.