Once upon a time, I made tortillas for Taco Tuesday. We didn't have any around and I didn’t want to go to the store, so it seemed like a simple solution. Now, that is what B wants every time we have tacos. And I must agree with him. Tortillas are so easy to make and, man, they are so good freshly made! Maybe someday I’ll be really prepared and make a huge batch to freeze, but today is not that day. It’s less daunting to me to just make a few.
I used spelt flour for them. As you may have read previously, I really like to use spelt flour in baking. It’s much easier on your digestive system and a pretty easy substitute for all-purpose flour. This crockpot chicken is so simple and easy. You can pile on all sorts of toppings. Maybe it’s time you started Taco Tuesday in your house too! Be warned, once you start they won’t let you stop.
20 min, makes 10
2 c spelt flour
1/2 t salt
5 T olive oil plus some for frying
1/2 c water
1. Mix ingredients together in medium bowl.
2. Start with a spoon and then I found it easier to switch to my hands.
3. Grab a small chunk and roll it into a ball. Then use a rolling pin to flatten it into a tortilla. The thinner the better.
4. Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Fry tortillas one at a time, flipping once.
Crockpot Shredded Chicken
8 hours, serves 6
- 5 frozen chicken breasts
- 1 c chicken stock
- 1/2 t salt
- Pinch cayenne
- 1/4 t pepper
1. Place all ingredients in crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours, or until chicken shreds easily.