Today Duluth was rated the "Least Stressed City in America." I don’t think many people around here are too surprised. Duluth has a charm to it that you can’t fully know unless you live here. It’s the culture, the people, the landscape, the pace of life, and other factors that work together to make this a really great place to live. And the Lake, of course. Let me gaze at Lake Superior for even a minute and my stress levels will most certainly decline. My college roommates would lovingly tease me about how much I talked about Duluth. What can I say? I love it here.
I decided to celebrate this Duluth victory with some cinnamon rolls. These cinnamon rolls are awesome because they actually taste like breakfast food. They are delicious and sweet, but healthy and satisfying. Starting my day with a sugary blob never ends up being a good idea. This is a great way to have a breakfast treat and feel fueled for your day.
Banana Nut Cinnamon Rolls
Serves 9; 30 min
1/3 c melted butter
1/4 t salt
3/4 t vanilla
2 t baking powder
2 c almond flour
1/2 c buckwheat flour
1 1/2 c chopped, pitted dates
4 T water
1 c walnuts, chopped
1 t cinnamon
- 1/2 c plain yogurt
- 2 T maple syrup
- pinch of cinnamon
- In small saucepan, simmer dates and water on low heat until dates are soft, about 5 min. Add extra water if it gets too dry. Stir in the walnuts and cinnamon and set aside to cool.
- Heat oven to 375 F
- In medium bowl, stir together the melted butter, salt, and vanilla.
- Add the egg and whisk to incorporate. Add the banana and mash and stir it really well.
- Add the baking powder and almond flour (stirring between each cup) and stir until fully combined.
- Add the buckwheat flour and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle some flour on your countertop and press or roll the dough into an approximately 10x7” rectangle.
- Spread the date mixture evenly on the dough.
- Roll the dough and pinch it together to hold everything.
- Slice the rolled dough into 9 even pieces.
- Place pieces in cast iron skillet or a 9” greased pan.
- Bake for 20 min, or until knife inserted comes out clean.
- Remove rolls from oven and let cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, stir the glaze ingredients together. Drizzle the glaze over the cinnamon rolls.