Happy Saturday! I am so excited to finally be experiencing a Saturday with healthy kids and nothing to do. H is really into games these days, so we’ve been playing all his Paw Patrol themed games. I don’t let him win, he’s just really good at them. E spends a lot of time playing with stuffed animals or Legos. Today it’s been all the stuffed animals scattered around the house playing “school.” Baby E likes to make messes. Ok, she does other things too, but, man if she is quiet for a few minutes, she’s probably coloring on the walls, wiping yogurt on the floor, or stringing floss around the house. She’s in a stage of exploring everything and that tends to mean she will make a mess of whatever she sees. Needless to say, our house looks crazy right now! Please don’t come visit. Or, please do, it will be good for growing my humility. But, we’re having a beautiful day. I’m focusing on the joy of this stage of life, not the piles surrounding me. :)
Buckwheat Doughnuts with Beet Frosting
Makes 8 doughnuts
1 c full fat coconut milk
1/8 t salt
1 t vanilla
1/2 t baking soda
3 T melted butter
1/4 c honey
1/3 c all purpose flour
2/3 c buckwheat flour
1/3 c plain yogurt
1 T maple syrup
1/4 t beet powder
shredded coconut for topping, if desired
- Heat oven to 350 F
- In medium bowl, whisk 1 egg with coconut milk.
- Add salt, vanilla, and baking soda and whisk in to combine
- Add the melted butter and honey and stir well to incorporate
- Add both flours and stir in until just combined
- Bake for 15 minutes in a greased doughnut pan. Remove from pan and put on cooling rack right away.
- In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, syrup, and beet powder (you can use less beet powder, if you’d like)
- Once the doughnuts have cooled enough, drizzle the frosting onto them. Sprinkle with shredded coconut, if desired.