This is one of my favorite recipes right now. It smells amazing, looks amazing, and tastes so wonderful. I wanted to make something similar to Great Harvest’s Apple Bread, but didn’t want to use sugar. This is perfectly honey sweetened. I could easily eat the whole loaf with butter, but I’ll try not to.
makes 2 round loaves
1 1/2 c very warm water
1/3 c honey
3 T olive oil
1 t salt
4 1/2 c bread flour
1 t cinnamon
2 t yeast
1 apple, chopped into cubes
- Pour warm water into large mixing bowl. Add the honey and stir.
- Add the cinnamon, salt, and olive oil and stir.
- Start adding the flour, 1/2 cup at a time. After one cup is added, add the yeast. Then continue adding the flour until the dough is leaving the sides of the bowl.
- Add the apple chunks and knead the dough for about 5 minutes.
- Cover and let rise for 1 1/2 hours
- Place large, oven safe, cast iron pot in the oven and preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Grab half the dough and shape it into a round loaf.
- Using potholders, remove the pot from the oven and place the dough in the pot. You shouldn’t have the grease it, unless you have an old scratched up pot like I do. Then, spray it with a little oil before putting the bread in.
- Keep the potholders on and place the lid on the pot.
- Put the pot back in the oven and bake the bread for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for another 5 minutes. Remove from oven and let the bread cool on a cooling rack.