The refrigerator was pretty sparse this morning and I needed to make some sort of lunch to bring to B. We had the fixings for a decent salad but it felt boring so I put my lightly caffeinated brain to work. I love a good salad, but it has to be real good. I like it to have a wide variety of veggies and lots of texture. This led me to coming up with a crunchy topping I could throw on different salads or soups. It's super tasty but the flavor is mild enough that it can go with almost anything! The crunch it gives is awesome, just what I needed.
-1 c almonds
-2 1/2 T coconut oil
-1/2 t garam masala
-1/4 t coarse salt
-1/8 t paprika
-1/8 t mustard powder
-1/4 t turmeric
-1/8 t cayenne
1. Preheat oven to 400 F
2. Melt coconut oil in small dish.
3. Stir spices into melted oil
4. Place almonds in small bowl and pour the oil/spice combo over them, stirring until well coated.
5. Spread almonds on a baking sheet (parchment paper is nice but not necessary)
6. Bake for 12 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
7. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
8. Chop coursely into smaller sprinkling pieces.
9. Use on salad, soup, anything that needs a crunch!