What a crazy two weeks it has been. I’m transitioning from being home with the kiddos full-time to working part-time. This might seem simple for many of you, but it’s new to me! My mind is a bit overloaded with things right now: learning at work, getting kids to and from places, packing lunches, you know how it goes. I’m trying to be more prepared for my days, in general. Especially with food. Quick meals sure come in handy when you get home right before dinner time. I just realized this recipe is quite similar to my last blog post. I think that is because when I don’t have a lot of time to get food ready, curry, or a curry-style, is often my go-to. I like packing in a bunch of veggies, maybe some meat, into a flavorful sauce. It feels much fancier than it is! :) . We've been eating a lot of cauliflower rice these days, but regular rice is certainly fine with it too!
Eggplant Curry Sauce
1 T olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 T olive oil
1 egg plant, peeled and chopped into cubes (about 5 cups chopped)
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 can full fat coconut milk
1 1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
4 t curry powder
1/8 t ground ginger
1/2 t turmeric
1 t cumin
1/8 t cayenne powder (optional)
- Heat 1 T olive oil in large nonstick skillet on medium heat
- Add garlic and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 min
- Add the extra 1/2 olive oil and stir
- Add the eggplant and all the spices and cook about 10 min until eggplant starts to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes and coconut milk. Bring to simmer and let simmer about 5 min.
- Serve over cauliflower rice or regular rice