I kept putting off making breakfast this morning because nothing sounded great. The great thing about doing Whole30 is it really motivated me to put more effort into my meals. Normally, if nothing sounds good for breakfast, I'll just eat whatever is closest to me and call it good. I fought the urge to do that today because I've also learned how much better my body feels if I start the day with a nutritious, hearty breakfast. So, after staring at the fridge for quite some time, I noticed the lovely box of strawberries in the back. (I hide it back there so my kids don't eat the whole box in one sitting:)) A beautiful frittata was born. Next time, rather than eating it alone in the kitchen, I will make it for brunch with friends-the color and flavor begs for it to be served on a sunny Saturday morning, possibly with mimosas.
Strawberry Asparagus Frittata
-1 T coconut oil
-1 1/2 c chopped asparagus (1 in pieces)
-8 eggs, beaten
-1/4 t dried basil
-1/8 t salt, or more to taste
-1/8 t cracked pepper
-4-5 strawberries, sliced
1. Heat oven to 375 F
2. Heat coconut oil in oven safe skillet.
3. Add asparagus and saute for 4 min
4. Beat eggs in separate bowl and stir in spices.
5. Pour eggs into skillet and transfer to the preheated oven.
6. Bake for 8 min, then pull out and place sliced strawberries on top. Put it back in the oven for another 12 min or until knife inserted comes out clean.
Side Note! s If you are eating dairy, this would be awesome sprinkled with fresh goat cheese crumbles! Sprinkle it on before putting the frittata in the oven the first time!